Thursday, October 18, 2012

Rockwell Land’s power women make a mid-career shift worth it

THE success of Rockwell Land Corp. is attributed to the dedication, enthusiasm, talent and focus of the men and women who helped build the classy brand.
Valerie Jane Lopez-Soliven, vice president for sales and marketing; and Maria Lourdes Pineda, vice president for retail and general manager of the Power Plant Mall, are two of the people who have helped establish the Rockwell brand to the public.
Soliven has worked with the company for 15 years. She is a licensed broker, but holds a Bachelor of  Science degree in Hotel and Restaurant Administration from the University of the Philippines. It is her job to ensure that  residential sales and leasing teams will reach and even exceed their revenue target. She is also called the guardian for branding and mentor of the marketing team for Rockwell Land.
Pineda, who has been working with the company for 12 years, also graduated with a hotel and restaurant management degree from UP. Prior to joining Rockwell Land, she worked for four years at Jewelmer International, a French-Filipino company specializing in exquisite jewelry.
She handles marketing, operations and leasing for Rockwell.
In separate e-mail exchanges with the BusinessMirror, Soliven and Pineda share their working experiences in the company they call home.
You were deep into what would be a promising career with  a popular hotel chain, yet you switched careers. What prompted the change from hotel to real estate?
Soliven: I studied Hotel and Restaurant Administration in UP Diliman, so it was the usual track that I was to follow. The opportunity for opening Shangri-La here in the Philippines presented itself, [along] with extensive training abroad, so I took the position. I was in the hotel industry from 1990 until 1996.
I was in hotel operations, and the hours were taxing. In 1996 I was already married with a child, so with the demanding schedule, a career move was a clear choice at that time. Rockwell presented the opportunity through a head hunter [who] offered me a job in Rockwell, which presented itself as also in the high-end luxury market, in the same field in which I had the training and the background. More important, it was the excitement of working with a pioneering property-development company that attracted me to Rockwell.
Please describe your working years in Rockwell Land. Can you recall the exciting, as well as the challenging, times with the company?
Soliven: The most exciting time to be with Rockwell is now. In the past, we have been sequential with the way we [proceed] with our developments. Now, Rockwell is undergoing a rapid expansion, venturing into new markets and different types of developments. It is very different from how we began in terms of pace, but it also brings new opportunities and challenges.
The Asian financial crisis in 1997—at its worst from 1999 to 2001—was the most challenging time for the company. Being the main revenue generator for the company, the pressure on the sales and marketing team was very strong. It was a difficult time, but because our shareholders were very supportive, and our leaders strategic and driven, the company was able to recover. With the introduction of The Manansala, Rockwell was able to succeed amid the unfavorable market conditions.
One of your responsibilities is to be the guardian of branding. Please describe what exactly that is. What are its components?
Soliven: Rockwell has remained an impressive and reputable name for 17 years, and it is the job of the sales and marketing team to preserve that. By leading my front liners, ensuring that they understand and embody what it is to be part of Rockwell, so that they are able to champion the brand. Each sales executive, events associate and digital artist at any level is a testimony to the quality that Rockwell delivers and defines. The way we communicate with our audience and the way we provide utmost service to our clients and customers is what I direct and, through this, I ensure that our market is able to be aware of, understand and receive the matchless quality that Rockwell delivers. In the same way that our project development and design and planning teams work to create products that are of a high caliber, we safeguard that quality of the Rockwell name.
What adjustments did you have to make when you moved to the real-estate industry?
Soliven: Moving from the hotel industry into property development, there were a lot of differences. The hotel industry is basically service-oriented. While I was in operations I was heavily into customer service. When I moved to property development, I took a career in sales and marketing. However, I was very fortunate to join the company at that time because the property-development industry was at its peak in 1996. There was very strong demand for residences.
How would you differentiate the current working environment in the company now and 15 years ago when you joined them?
Soliven: The growth of the company has indeed changed the way we work. Fifteen years ago, the sales and marketing team was composed of a small group of five. Now, as the team head, I lead a group of 120. While working for a company composed of only 30 is very different from working with a group of 536, it has always been a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
The landscape of the property-development industry has also changed. It is more competitive now, with the number of developments being offered to the market steadily increasing. I see this as a good sign, because it is an indicator that the performance of property developers has impressed the audience, and that we can continue to provide them with quality residences.
Why do you consider Rockwell Land a home?
Soliven: Having been in Rockwell since 1996, I have seen this company grow in number of employees, in its impressive portfolio and as a brand, and I feel that I have grown with it, as well. In the same way that I care for my own home, I also make it a point to pay attention to how well the company is doing. I make sure that for sales and marketing, everything is going smoothly, so both our clients and our employees have a great experience. I also treat my team much like my family. I care for them, make sure that they are excelling, and that there are supportive relationships within the team.
How do you balance career and parenting?
Soliven: Managing both career and parenting is a tough act. It’s a cliché but it’s true. The key is to just spend quality time. I’m able to manage both by just spending as much time with my husband and my children as I can. When I’m at work, I am completely focused on it, but when I get home I try to shut everything else out and make sure that all of my time is spent for myself or with my family.
What made you stay with Rockwell for the past 12 years?
Pineda: I remained in Rockwell because I was able to see how the company consistently delivered quality in various aspects of its operations and in different business units. I started in the Rockwell Club, but because my background was really in sales, eventually I was moved to sales and marketing, where I stayed for close to four years. Nestor J. Padilla, our president, offered me the position as general manager of the Power Plant Mall, and by January of 2005, I was already in retail. In my experience working with these different teams I saw how Rockwell had a clear vision and deep understanding of what the market wanted, and was able to provide luxury in all areas—residential, commercial and leisure. Most of all, I believe in the vision of the company and in the leadership of our president, Tong Padilla.
How would you compare the scenario when you joined the company and the current environment?
Pineda: The year I joined the company was the most difficult times for Rockwell. We were debt-ridden. It also was the height of the Asian financial crisis. We struggled in sales but despite all those hindrances, we saw the company through its debts and now we are a publicly listed company and remains stronger than ever with the prospects of a lot of growth.
What is it like to manage the Power Plant Mall?
Pineda: Managing the Power Plant Mall is a very rewarding experience. While I am trying to balance time for meetings, making presentations and tenant concerns, I have a team of highly competent and driven managers who are able to lead their own teams and keep the Power Plant Mall running smoothly. I find that it is important to focus on who our market is, and what they want, in order to make better decisions on how to provide residents and mallgoers with the Rockwell experience.
Do you think marketing the Rockwell brand, particularly the Power Plant Mall, has an edge over the competition since it has a niche market?
Pineda: In the Power Plant Mall, we believe that luxury is not only material but also largely about the experience. We have a balanced mix of mainstream concepts and brands along with our select home-grown unique concepts. Everyone needs a hardware store, a supermarket, a cinema, a bookstore, but the Power Plant Mall levels it up in terms of the customer-service experience and the interiors. It’s in the way the service is delivered that makes it extraordinary. By doing more to provide customers with quality experience, I think is what helps us to remain a step ahead.
Since Rockwell belongs to the high-end market, do you have an advantage in attracting new clients?
Pineda: I think since we continue to work on strengthening the community we created and consistently elevate the service and quality we offer our clients, the attraction of new clients will always be there. If you have a good track record and credibility built on trust and dependability, admiration from around will come.
What adjustments did you make when you joined Rockwell? Did it require you to unlearn previous work styles?
Pineda: I started my career in the jewelry business, which is synonymous with luxury. My training brought me to different parts of Europe and Asia. For four years I was trained to develop the eye for the finer things in life, which is something that helped me when I began my work in Rockwell. Both the jewelry business and Rockwell are focused on the quality.
How do you balance career and parenting?
Pineda: My children are already grown up, and are beginning careers for themselves, but during the weekends, my husband and I make it a point to always go out and unwind with the family. My husband is also very busy, and he’s as stressed as I am, but we make sure that the family allots time for each other.

In Photo:Valerie Jane Lopez-Soliven and Maria Lourdes Pineda

No comments:


OTHER LINKS