Friday, February 24, 2012

At last, I saw my Shangri-La


By Arlene M. Perez (The Philippine Star) Updated February 19, 2012 12:00 AM

Photo is loading...
This is my idea of paradise in Cebu--the Shangri-La Mactan --with an endless stretch of white sand and clear water.
| Zoom

MANILA, Philippines - Months before my solo balikbayan trip to the Philippines, I was looking through Shangri-La Mactan Hotel’s awesome pictures on the web. My mind would wander around stunning shots of the hotel grounds,swimming pools and especially the beach.

My fantasy became reality last year when, after landing in Manila, my relatives joined me on a short flight from Manila to Cebu. We were welcomed by the Shangri-La Mactan hotel staff at the Mactan International Airport and shuttled us to the resort. I was personally greeted by Mildred Amon, director of communications, as I was checking in with a welcome drink at The Ocean Wing.

Everything turned out as beautiful as the photos on the web. My room was comfortable and spacious. I was greeted with a bowl of fresh fruits (including my favorite, mango!), a welcome beach bag with goodies from their local vendors and a breathtaking view of the beach. At night, after the staff turned down the bed, I got a pair of flip-flops too!


Own your first Condo for as low as 3,500/month

Everything here is so modern, so clean, so refreshing.

Our stay included breakfast buffet either at the Acqua or Tides Restaurant, so I tried both places. On the buffet table was a variety of dishes meant to please American, European and Asian tastes. From garlic fried rice and dangit, to sushi and congee, what else could I ask for! Oh yes, let’s not forget the sweet mangoes! I must have eaten over a dozen mangoes per sitting. Yes, my dieting was also on vacation mode.

The main lobby was simply grand, and I discovered that guests at The Ocean Wing have a separate lobby. At night, Shangri-La Mactan’s lounge comes alive with a band for listening or dancing the night away. The hotel’s garden was just amazing. I swam in two of their three swimming pools. The main pool had a waterslide that was just perfect for this family-friendly resort. The infinity pool is located next to the Acqua Restaurant. What can I say? The view was breathtaking.

And so to bed, with suite dreams.

Now let’s talk about the beach. It’s private! There’s white sand and clear water, so clear that you can see the colors of the fish. I don’t think there’s any other beach with whitesand in Cebu. They’ve got cabanas and a helpful staff for the water activities. Snorkeling was so much fun. I tried kayaking, too. It was my first time, but it was easy! As I was paddling, I started imagining the things that my kids would have enjoyed at the Shangri-La Mactan. I could see my twin girls, Alisal and Amanda, playing in the sand, and probably wished they could surf, too. Those two would have just stayed out on the beach until they turned unrecognizably dark. My son Christian would jet-ski, parasail and ride the banana boat for sure! Tony, my better half — who’s actually patiently taking care of the kids back in Southern California — and I would be paddling away in a two-seater kayak. So romantic! I really felt bad and guilty that I was enjoying this amazing resort without them.

I tried two of Mactan Shangri-La's three swimming pools!

The Buko Bar served buffet dinner, which included lechon, which is what Cebu is known for. Friday night was the Filipino Folk Dance show and a photo op with the dancers. Oh, and celebrities, too: I bumped into Dr. Elenita Binay, wife of the Philippine Vice President, and her son, Makati Mayor Junjun Binay at The Ocean Wing lobby. The Binays were there as special guests at a wedding.

Back home in Los Angeles, I was chatting with my old high school friend in London through Facebook about this awesome resort. She told me that they’ve always wanted to see Cebu and stay at the Shangri-La Mactan. I told her I would never go back... without my family, that is.

* * *

Shangri-La Mactan Resort &Spa is located on Punta Engano Road, Lapu-Lapu City, 6015 Cebu, Philippines. For inquiries and reservations, call (63-32)231-0288; fax (63-32)231-1688; or visit www.shangri-la.com.

No comments:


OTHER LINKS