Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Toral: Google+ and why I love Facebook

By Janette Toral

Digital Filipino

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

LAST week, the Internet geek community was abuzz when Google+ was announced (http://plus.google.com). It is considered the search giant’s answer to Facebook and you can do a lot of things in it, combining features from various Facebook applications.

As it is still in beta or testing phase, I was able to add friends through it despite the closure of invitations by exploiting a widely-publicized loophole of adding photos and tagging those I want to invite.

Google+ allows you to group your friends in “circles.” With your Google contacts already stored in your Gmail account, it is likely those you communicate with often will be suggested as potential connections. Adding them to circles allows them to receive updates. Those without accounts receive e-mail notices, too. Once they respond, they will be able to get in Google+.

However, the question of whether this will be a threat to Facebook is too early to answer. I just opened a second Facebook account as my primary one was already full.

Among the things Facebook offers that make me favor it over Google+ are:

Events. You can invite people to events and send progressive updates without being intrusive. This includes adding photos of speakers and other forms of media.

Applications economy. More than a social network, Facebook has opened a lot of doors to individuals and companies who were able to create or earn extra income from it.

Personally, I get my clients and bloggers through it. It is unlikely that the same economic activity can happen in Google+ anytime soon.

Groups. The latest version of Facebook Groups really swept me. In HomeBasedElite.com, my partner and I use it to communicate with our level 1 participants. We give assignments through it and it fostered open communication. One of the great groups where I’m a member of, Pinoy Bloggers, has been such a vital resource for the kind of work that I do and to those who are in the same field.

E-Commerce potential. Last week, I integrated Cashsense (http://apps.facebook.com/cashsense) in my Facebook Pages. This allows those who “like” the page and friends to buy items online - then pay it via 7-Eleven or M. Lhuillier. I look forward to the day when selling items through it will take place as I come out with lower denomination type of products and service.

Surfing and “like” integration. The “like” button available in articles like this one allows easy propagation of content through social networks.

Google+ does have a +1 tab now in its user profile pages but unless this get easily shared, its function will be more influential on search engine ranking or results, which is also important.

(www.digitalfilipino.com)

Published in the Sun.Star Cebu newspaper on July 06, 2011.

No comments:


OTHER LINKS