Sunday, January 8, 2012

The new-generation Kayanan


MY wife lhara and I consider ourselves blessed. The construction of our house in Antipolo is nearing completion. Our dream house is no longer just a dream but a reality that we will get to enjoy in time for Christmas. We owe this to our friends who introduced us to Jeka Development Corp.

I realize now that the relationship between the homeowner and the builder is similar to one has with let’s say a doctor or a lawyer. Trust in your builder is sacrosanct.

Having Jeka Development Corp. do our house is a blessing because of the trust and confidence that exists between the two of us. The company is a full-service real-estate agency specializing in construction of residential and commercial properties. Its services include property sales and short sales, and property purchases and investments. When Lhara and I approached the company, they did not hesitate in taking on our requirements despite being a small project when compared to their other development projects.

Jeka Development Corp. was founded in 1972 by American Design Associates headed by architects Mauricio Kayanan II, Jesse Kayanan and Castor Surla, and the planning group of Engr. Antonio Kayanan. It concentrated on the design and construction management of the entertainment clubs on Roxas Boulevard in Manila, Pasay City and Olongapo City. By the year 2003, Jeka Construction Inc. was established under the control of Engr. Jesse Antonio U. Kayanan Jr.

In early 2011, we met architect Jan Carlo G. Kayanan of Jeka Development Corp. A graduate of University of Santo Tomas, Carlo is a third-generation Kayanan who is in the business of “building.”

“My grandfather Antonio Kayanan was a civil engineer. His brother and my uncle, Mauricio Kayanan, was an architect who graduated from Harvard University. My grandfather worked in the National Housing Authority and was involved in various government projects that became my inspiration and motivation to become an architect and to eventually follow in their footsteps,” said Carlo. “My father Jess Kayanan Sr. started Jeka Development Corp. and now, my elder brother Jesse Kayanan Jr. is currently managing the business and is also training me in the daily operation of the business,” he added.

After passing the architectural board in 2010, Carlo is now more involved in the day-to-day operations of their company.

For Carlo, being an architect is not a result of family pressure. It’s more of a passion that became evident even when he was young. “When I was six years old, my father allowed me to look at the plans he was working on and color the perspectives of his projects. I can say that I was influenced by my father because seeing the drawings and being exposed to architectural designs, I knew that I would become an architect someday,” he added.

My style, my way

Coming from a family of engineers and architects, Carlo chose to deviate from what he had seen and learned over the years. “I go against the norms of conventional architecture and design. Every time I meet with clients, I get excited because they have different and unique requirements. For first-time meetings, I don’t usually bring a lot of reference materials. What we do is to interview first our clients and get their ideas, insights and, most especially, their personality. These are the things that we need in order for us to start creating a design suitable to their personal taste. I believe no idea is the same. Even though clients tend to get various ideas from different designs that they see from magazines, or other houses, they have different personalities. And that’s where I get my inspiration. I want to give our clients the best and most unique design. Kasi at the end of the day, sila ’yung titira sa ginawa naming bahay or sila ’yung gagamit ng building. We want them to be satisfied in all aspects of our structure. From foundation, up to the finishing, we are there to guide them,” said the architect.

Carlo loves to play with space and colors. There is no limit when it comes to his designs and imagination. He is not afraid to try out-of-the-box ideas that will raise eyebrows among conventional architects. “I look up to Charles-Édouard Jeanneret, better known as Le Corbusier, famous for being one of the pioneers of what now is called modern architecture.”

Siguro malaking factor talaga ang age and my influences. Madami na din kasi akong nakitang designs from our different projects. Sometimes, I pick up different pieces and for upcoming projects. Although sometimes, you really have to bite the bullet because there are clients na talagang conventional pa and are not ready for new ideas. But that’s the beauty of being an architect. Each client has different personalities. Every design, and every part of a house or building, has a story to tell based on the personality ng client. ’Yung design na ginawa mo na hindi pumasa sa isang client, sa iba baka puwede,” said Carlo.

Skeleton design

When asked about his trademark, Carlo is quick to tell that he likes incorporating “skeleton” designs in all of his works. This kind of design stems from his fascination with transparent projects found in watches and even elevators. “It’s really cool. Imagine, making the internal part of the structure part of the design of a house or a building! It’s also challenging because we have to discuss and convince our clients that the design will go well with their house.

Making a name on his own

In the construction industry, the Kayanan name has already been synonymous with quality work and design. The company is dedicated to provide solutions in development and general construction, architectural and engineering designs and project management. This fact gives both prestige and pressure to the young Kayanan.

“Being a Kayanan has given me both prestige and pressure. Thanks to our grandfather, my father and my other relatives in the industry, minsan parang my name is already a foot in the door na sa mga clients and projects. But at the same time, it’s really more of a pressure kasi nga ang taas ng bar na ni-raise ng mga nauna sa akin. This makes my profession more challenging. I can’t be complacent and be relaxed because most of my clients are expecting nothing but the best from my designs,” said Carlo. “Pakonti-konti, nagkakaroon na din ako ng sariling style and niche. I want to be in a league of my own. Not just the usual, ‘ah, si Carlo ’yung anak ni architect Jess.’ I don’t want to be the next…I want to be the first Carlo Kayanan who will eventually be somebody in the field of architecture,” added Carlo.

For more information, pls call our hotline number +639173236123.



In Photo: Beyond space Kayanan’s perspective in their Antipolo project and Manhattan. (Don Clavo de Comer)

No comments:


OTHER LINKS