Saturday, October 31, 2009

How to make our homes more eco-chic


SAVOIR FAIRE by mayenne Carmona (The Philippine Star) Updated October 31, 2009 12:00 AM
Photo is loading...
The “mayor” of New Orleans: Brad Pitt in front of his environmentally friendly housing project in Hurricane Katrina-ravaged New Orleans.
| Zoom

Not too long ago, I attended a function in a private club at the Fort, Taguig, Rizal. Since Taguig does not have an ordinance to keep their establishments smoke-free, I was literally blown away by all the smokers around me. For fear of developing an asthma attack, I hastily beat a graceful exit even if I was still enjoying the event and the company of my friends. My battered lungs withstood the ordeal of breathing the polluted air around me during the hour I was there, but the following day, I woke up with a bloodshot left eye. I thought that the redness was caused by prolonged use of my contacts, but the condition persisted for several days.

On the third day, I decided to consult my ophthalmologist, and after some tests, he told me I had a severe allergy due to pollution. I was prescribed some eye drops and after faithfully applying it for a week, the redness disappeared. Then, a week after my eye was clear of the redness, I attended another function at the same club, but this time I did not stay too long. I left at the first signs of smoke getting in my eyes, but the next day, the same redness appeared on my left eye. Only then did I realize that my doctor’s diagnosis was infallible: I am allergic to smoke and polluted air.

Which brings to mind the recent global campaign launched on Sept. 1 to get individuals and organizations to reduce their emissions by 10 percent by 2010. A 10-percent emissions reduction, whether you live in a polluted city or in the countryside, could make significant changes on our health and in our lives.

For instance, we can start by doing simple things to reduce the amount of energy we consume on a daily basis and at the same time, save some money along the way.

When I left for a two-week sabbatical last month, I unplugged all my electrical appliances and electronics as they use up energy when they are plugged in, even if they are switched off. (The biggest culprit for me is my mobile phone charger — I leave it plugged in even when not in use.). During this time, my domestic staff went on their yearly acations. My electric bill went down considerably, so now I am igilant about unplugging all my electronics after I finish using them, e.g., hair dryer, Water Pik, TV, karaoke, computers, CD player, etc. I used to leave them plugged all the time, but not anymore. A good idea is to plug your electronics into an energy-efficient power strip, so at the end of the day, all you have to do is to flip one switch.

Here are other tips to help make our environment eco-friendly:

Replace incandescent lights with fluorescent bulbs. They use 40 to 60 percent less power, reduce heat alues and last 10 times longer than the average bulb.

Let us be conscious of our water consumption. Some of our rivers are emptying before nature can replenish them. We should check our homes for water leaks, shutting off faucets when not in use. Some people have this bad habit of letting the faucet flow the whole time they are brushing their teeth or running their shower five minutes before jumping into it. What a waste of water! If your budget allows it, install low-flow faucets, alves and energy-efficient washers.

Neutralize your carbon footprint. You can do this by planting trees in your garden or putting leafy shrubs on your balcony (if you have one) to restore oxygen to the air.

Reduce your paper waste by using recycled paper. Use recycled for your printers, your correspondence… you can even use recycled tissue paper in your bathrooms. Be stingy with your paper and use both sides if possible.

Encourage family, friends, and coworkers to be more environmentally conscious in the food and drinks department. Recycle used bottles, tins, cartons and paper, or send them to organizations that know how to recycle them.

Office owners should turn off their heat or ACs when employees leave the office. No need to heat or cool an empty building. Turn them on a half hour before employees arrive.

Encourage neighbors or co-employees to begin carpools or use public transport like the MRT. Commuting today is not only costly but also bad for the environment.

Riding the MRT or carpooling will lessen the cars and toxic buses that ply the main thoroughfares, therefore reducing traffic.

Architects and builders should be conscious of constructing with energy-friendly materials. They should check current standards for commercial properties to see how they can earn a green building certificate.

I admire world-famous celebrities who take active roles in championing worthwhile causes. They serve as role models to their fans, who tend to follow in their footsteps. Heartthrob Brad Pitt supported a competition held by Global Green USA for eco-friendly house designs during the reconstruction of New Orleans when Hurricane Katrina devastated it. Houses now under construction in New Orleans feature energy-saving appliances, cisterns and toilets designed for water conservation, soy-based insulation, paperless drywalls, solar-paneled roofs and non-toxic repellents for mold and termites.

To further emphasize his commitment, in 2006 Pitt narrated E2 Design, a six-part PBS program on environmentally friendly architecture. In it he said, “By employing the intelligence of natural systems we can create industry, buildings, even regional plans that see nature and commerce not as mutually exclusive but mutually co existing.”

Super-talented actor Leonardo DiCaprio is admirable in his crusade for the environment. Last year, DiCaprio launched his co-production Eco-Town with Discovery Channel, a TV series telling the story of a Kansas town devastated by a tornado in 2007 and set to be rebuilt as a model of green living. He is known as one of the most outspoken green celebs in Hollywood and as one who walks his talk in his daily life. For example, he takes commercial flights instead of chartering private jets, which use more fuel. He also drives a hybrid car and his house has solar panels.

There are many more world-class celebrities doing their share in making our world a better habitat for humans. Worth reading about are the green causes of Robert Redford, Darryl Hannah, Cate Blanchett, Edward Norton, Cameron Diaz, Alanis Morissette, Andre Agassi, and Bill Gates.

No comments:


OTHER LINKS